Sunday, January 16, 2011

Changes

Things are changing.... it could be because Parker is getting older. Maybe he understands that there is a baby on the way more than I think he does. I could just be nesting in a different way than I did with Parker. Maybe with the new year, came a new me.... but things are definitely changing.

I've NEVER enjoyed cooking. Food is to keep me and my family alive and if it taste good then that's a bonus. Lately, I've cooked. I haven't microwaved a single frozen meal. This is a big deal people. I made a 22lb turkey. Huge deal... until I realized how easy it was. On the menu this week: tilapa, turkey pot pie and white chicken chili. This is me tooting my own horn.

I taught myself to applique and monogram. This is my style for my children. I love seersucker...all things monogrammed and an applique makes it even more perfect. Add a bow and rick rack on a girl's A-line dress and I melt. My taste doesn't come cheap.... so I taught myself to make them (thanks google and you tube!) and I'm just tickled! It's been SO fun. I just love being creative... especially when it comes out cute!

I'm feeling accomplished. I LOVE being a mom. It's my whole life. About 2 months ago, I felt like I was giving ALL of myself to Daniel and Parker (and Avery) and while I LOVE it.... I felt like I was loosing "me." In a moment of clarity, alone in the car, I came up with the idea of a website that would allow me to work from home at my own pace, make it as big or little as I wanted and do what I love. More details on that to come (website is being built) but I'm excited to get it up and running. I already feel accomplished and that feels SO good. It's been a huge self esteem booster to have something that I'm doing for me.

My child who fought sleep tooth and nail as a baby has become quite possibly the world's best sleeper. What changed? He got a big boy bed... and a pillow. Can I tell you what a huge deal becoming an awesome sleeper is?! Mom's you know! He literally puts himself to sleep now. Just 6 months ago, he would spend 40+minutes crying it out for most naps and EVERY night! Since the day we put him in a big boy bed, he's been..well... a big boy! Tonight he was playing in his room and I was putting dishes away. He'd been silent for a while and I went to check on him. He was OUT. He had climbed in his bed with a football, book, Barney and his babies and he was asleep! How awesome is that!?! He woke up at 9:30 and was calling me "mommy, poop!" Sure enough, I went in there and he had pooped. I changed him, let him see Daniel (he's been at work all day) and Parker told us "night night" and walked back to his bed. LOVE IT!!!!!!  This has been a much welcome change from our old norm. He's becoming SUCH a big boy! I'm ready to have another baby in the house now that he's so "grown up!"

The next change that hasn't happened yet but I at least have a plan for is balance. I can keep a clean house and cook microwave meals or I can cook real meals and the house suffers. I'm struggling to do both and adding a 2nd child isn't going to help. My plan of attack is to break it up into rooms so every 3 days, I'm not cleaning the whole house for hours or cleaning the whole house on Sunday (that happens a lot!) Plan:
Mondays/Thursday- kitchen
Tuesdays/Friday- Bathrooms
Wednesdays/Saturday- Den and Bedrooms
Sunday- Odds and Ends
Obviously, the floors will need to be swept and vacuumed more than just on their "days" but that's not a problem. I like to vacuum and I tolerate sweeping. I'm talking more deep cleaning. We'll see how it goes... this is a constant struggle for me so I'm hoping my plan works! I'll keep you updated!

I'm a woman who enjoys consistency. I've been on the roller coaster of life and I'm REALLY loving being on "scoobydoo" instead of "The Vortex" (carowind's theme-park coasters for all you none- Carolina folks!)  I'm not one who willingly excepts change but I'm pleased to say, I think these are good changes and I'm pretty excited to see how it all goes long term!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Parker loving his big boy bed and loving bed time even more :) I'm not one who willingly accepts change either, so I know exactly where you are coming from! Kudo's to you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have some exciting stuff coming up, for sure. i can't wait to see your website! =) having a baby brought out a whole new side of craftiness in me, too. it's fun! and seeing your little bug in cute stuff you made could not be more fun!

    i am one of those momma's who cooks but doesn't clean (not that i don't clean, just not as much as i would like). the important stuff is clean, and the rest is just.....collateral damage. =)

    ReplyDelete