Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Teaching my Kids to Vote Biblically

My mommy heart is so heavy tonight. I swayed Avery back and forth before bed with tears streaming down my checks. This election was so different from any election in the past for me. I have kids now. I have their futures to consider.

I've always taken my political decisions seriously. I do my research. I don't vote straight ticket. I vote in more elections than just presidential. I took my kids to vote even though they didn't understand much more than the reward of a sticker. 

They'll understand one day because I'll teach them. They'll  learn that it's their civic duty. Avery will understand the sacrifice many people made so SHE could have the right to vote. They'll learn that their 1 vote may not sway an election but if each person who thought that way voted, it may. I'll teach them to do their research and above all to consider their decisions with prayer. 

Sometimes their candidate will win and sometimes they'll loose but in the end, I'll teach them that God is over all earthy men in authority.

"He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding" Daniel 2:21

They are free to make their own decisions based on their convictions but I pray they consider the Bible as their greatest resource of direction. 

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16

I voted. I don't LOVE either candidate but I understood my choices, their platforms and what the Bible says about my "big ticket items." 

Abortion:
"There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood" Proverbs 6:16-17

I believe that women have the right to make decisions on behalf of their own bodies up until the point she's growing another life who is unable to speak for him/herself.

Justice:
"Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13 2-4

I am a pool rules reader. I've never liked the phrase "life isn't fair" although I know it to be true. I do; however, still believe in rewarding good and punishing evil.

Debt:
"The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender." Proverbs 22:7

It's no secret our nation is in a heap of debt. Someone has to pay it and it weighs heavy on my heart that my children will be paying for it. We need a balanced budget and plan for debt reduction.... yesterday.

Jobs:
 "For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat" 2 Thessalonians 3:10

I know this verse sounds harsh but it speaks to my beliefs on job creation, disability and welfare reform. 

Those are some of my "big ticket items" and how I feel the Bible speaks to them. They may be controversial and my intentions are not to offend but to offer my perspective and conviction, politically. You can still be my friend if we disagree. I agree to disagree.

As I sit here and type this post, I've been listening to praise songs, in particular "God of this City" by Chris Tomlin. Whether Obama or Romney wins, the lyrics are my prayer tonight for our nation:

"You're the God of this City
You're the King of these people
You're the Lord of this nation
You are

You're the Light in this darkness

You're the Hope to the hopeless
You're the Peace to the restless
You are

There is no one like our God

There is no one like our God

For greater things have yet to come

And greater things are still to be done in this City
Greater thing have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this City "



1 comment: