Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happy 4th Birthday, Parker!

Dear Parker,

Each year, writing you a birthday letter gets harder. It reminds me of how fleeting time is. I flipped through your baby book tonight and giggled that my 3 pound preemie went from "not on the charts" to 50% in 12 months in height and weight. Your full term, 22 month old sister weighs right now what you weighed when you were 8 months old!!!! You may have arrived a bit earlier than expected but you sure did your best to catch up fast! Maybe you didn't love being nicknamed "screamie preemie." Once you were more of a "chunky monkey" the aforementioned nickname didn't seem to fit anymore!
1st Birthday Party
Your dad and I are so proud of how far you've come. I look at pictures of you as a newborn and don't even see the vivacious little boy you are today! You have really come out of your shell lately. You narrate your life and say some of the funniest things! The way you boss your sister around is hilarious and I try not to let you see me laugh! My favorite line is "Avery, no ma'am! Time out!" It's a good reminder to me that you're always listening even when you select to not respond! Lately, when you and Avery are nasty to each other, I make you guys hug it out and it might be the sweetest thing ever. Although you're not keen on sharing your toys with her, you guys can also play so sweetly together. You're always Thomas or Buzz and you make Avery be some obscure character like Rosie and Slinky Dog. I did the same thing to your Aunt Kelly!
2nd Birthday Party
Your pediatrician likes to note that you have a tendency towards dramatic flare which I like to think that you will channel one day into passion for a greater good. Currently, you use it to run across the house and throw yourself on the floor when I tell you we won't be going to Target today for toys. Speaking of toys, I don't think we can fit one more into this house! Your favorite toys are your Thomas the Train sets, anything Toy Story, Cars (especially Mack), the trampoline and these awful microscopic toys called squinkies. I'd get rid of some toys, except you really do play with them all!
3rd Birthday Party
Your imagination has really taken off. You entertain yourself for hours coming up with scenes with your trains or Toy Story characters.  Lately, you've started liking school which makes mornings much easier! Despite some recent behavioral outburst, you are the sweetest, most thoughtful (to everyone except your sister) little boy. You will randomly come up to me and demand hugs and kisses which I'm always happy to oblige. You'll snuggle for hours if you like what we're watching and I soak up every minute, knowing these days will pass but laundry is forever.
Celebrating your 3rd birthday at the zoo.
 This year, we've noticed an improvement in some hurdles that you've faced. You've come pretty far with your tactile issues and will now even eat messy food with your hands as long as they are cleaned off the instant you are done. Holes are your nemesis and you inspect every article of clothing I put on you. You will NOT wear anything with rips, holes or stains. I see this being beneficial when you're a teenager as I HATE seeing kids dress sloppy! Your fine motor skills are improving but we've still got some work to do. Nana and poppi got you a bike for your birthday. Peddling is a challenge but I think watching your friends this spring will really help! You've come a LONG way this year and I think the biggest change came when we changed your diet to mostly gluten, egg, dairy and soy free. You gained so much energy and really came alive! I'm so sorry we didn't know sooner!
4 years old!!!!
Parker, I want you to know how much your father and I adore you. There are days when we have to discipline you that I feel like you don't understand our love for you. It is unexplainable. Nana and Poppi used to tell me they loved me "All the way to God's house and back." I never understood that love until I had you. You and Avery make every day brighter. My day starts with your sweet voice yelling "Mommy, I wake up!" and I can't help but giggle every morning because I know what a blessing it is to have you to wake up to each and every morning. It's a gift that in those first few days of your life, I wasn't sure I'd get to keep and I promise to never forget what a treasure you are. Happy 4th Birthday, my love!

I love you all the way to God's house and back,

MOM


0 comments:

Post a Comment