Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Taco Soup!

In the fall and winter we LOVE to eat soup! I usually make a vat of it and freeze 2/3 of the batch in freezer bags for easy, yummy meals! I am NOT a cook. I do; however, go on kicks of making meals and when that bug bites, I try to make large quantities. Please never take cooking advice from me unless it's soup, baked goods, other something that doesn't involve anything more than combining cans of things. 

This recipe involves two of those things: soup... and combing cans of things.

It's TACO SOUP and it's TASTY!
Here are the ingredients: (I doubled the recipe because I wanted to make one vat on the stove and one vat in the crock pot)

1lb ground beef
1 chopped onion
2 16oz cans of mexican style chili beans 
1 16oz can of corn
1 16oz can of diced tomatoes
3-4 cups of liquid. (I used 3 cups v8 and 2 cups chix broth per vat because I wanted mine less thick)
1 4 1/2oz can of chopped green chilis
1 package of taco seasoning
1 package of ranch dressing mix
1 16oz can of black beans

I browned the ground beef
Then, I combined everything in my stock pot. I made a 2nd batch in the crock pot for a little experiment.

Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. It's SO tasty with toppings! Avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, onions, tomatoes and those YUMMY crunchy tortilla strips make it perfection!

The result of our experiment is.... drum roll..... it tasted the SAME in the crock pot as it did in the stock pot. We've now got a few bags of taco soup stashed in our deep freezer for a lazy, cold football Sunday! 
If I can do it, you can do it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment