Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Case of the Non Existent Chicken Pox

Let me just start off by saying "WOW!" You guys are incredible! I wrote a spurt of the moment soapbox post yesterday about life choices and the risk of cancer for World Cancer Day. You guys read it, "liked it," "shared it" and encouraged this mama in the process! I was blown away by the support and I can't thank you enough for that. 

I spent last night attempting to watch the most recent Pretty Little Liars episode (I'm leaning towards Toby, Mike or MAYBE even Aria being A, thoughts? Why is this SO hard to figure out?!). I say attempting because Avery is battling us BIG TIME about going to bed again. This has been a struggle since she was, I dunno... 6 weeks old?! If it's not one thing it's another. She's hungry. She needs water. She needs a book. She's afraid of the dark. Her fish is swimming too loudly (Hattie, her beta, must only be vocal at night) Her doll needs me. She's afraid of monsters. She hears noises outside. She needs to go potty. She needs clean sheets.  She needs to brush her teeth again. Her baby doll needs to brush her teeth. Her baby doll needs a pull up. She needs to make sure we're in bed..... We thought we had heard it all.

...UNTIL....

Avery has now diagnosed herself with chicken pox. Thanks Doc McStuffins.
Don't you see all those chicken pox?! Yeah. Me either.
The last 3 nights she says she's covered in red bumps, they're itchy and she has a case of the chicken pox. She will even scratch herself. Did you know that the cure for chicken pox is that you can't go to sleep?! My 3 year old told me so, so obviously it's true.

We have tried baths, lotions, giving her "medicine" (her nightly vitamin), talking to her about it like she's a tiny adult, looking up pictures of chicken pox and comparing her non-poxy skin and even time out for being dramatic and not listening. 2-3 hours for the last 3 nights have been dedicated to convincing my child that she does not, in fact, have chicken pox. I'm not gonna lie, it's a little bit cute. I know this will pass so I'm laughing about it behind her back but by hour 2.... mama's gonna need you to go to sleep. 

We finally resorted to calling "Dr Smolen's nurse, Susan" AKA my sister, Kelly, in Brooklyn who advised her to put on some lotion and sleep it off. It worked the first night but these darn chicken pox flair back up at 7:30pm the next night. It's that the craziest thing?! Thankfully, nurse Susan works late.

Once Avery falls asleep, she'll sleep until 9:30am which continues the late night cycle so today, I woke her up at 7:30. She's a sleepy, cranky, pill today that I've had to dress extra cute with a big bow to tolerate. I've seriously considering shipping her to anyone's house that will keep her alive for the day but I'm gonna tough it out and try an earlier bed time tonight. I'm pretty sure the mini bundt cakes and cupcakes on today's list of things to make will turn that scowl upside down ;)

I tell you this for a few reasons. 1. Because it is ridiculously cute and hilarious.    2. It is equally annoying and exhausting     3. I want to remember these days and her imagination     4. HELP!!!

Has anyone ever successfully broken a pattern of increasingly imaginative excuses? Do I want to break the pattern of excuses? Do I just secretly enjoy this precious time with her being young and adorable? I vaguely remember Parker having a hard time going to sleep but never with this much dramatic flair. Now, I could tell him at 4pm to go sleep on a bath mat and he would. They're just different kids. Motherhood can be so conflicting!

Am I the only one battling night time excuses? Commiserate with me... or encourage me... or give me your phone number and become a fake night nurse... Nurse Susan isn't as available on the weekends. 
 ......................................................................................................................................

On a totally unrelated note, I'm hosting a Matilda Jane party at my house tomorrow, Friday the 6th at 6pm-the bundt cakes and wine run out. I'd love for you to come! Absolutely no pressure to buy anything! Grab your kids and come over for a night of juice boxes and cupcakes for the kids and wine and bundt cakes for the ladies.  Email me at tlcarr7@yahoo.com for more information. If you can't make the party, you can still order through my trunk keeper. I've linked the new line here. Let me know if you see anything you'd like to order! 






0 comments:

Post a Comment