Sunday, December 9, 2012

I made a meal... and it was good!

I can PROMISE you this blog will NEVER turn into a cooking blog but every now and then when the recipe gods cut me some slack and let something good come out of my oven that isn't met "was this another pinterest attempt?" I might just have to share it. Before I divulge this goodness, does anyone else have that problem?!?.... it looks SOOO good on Pinterest and then you try and and it taste nasty, cooks wrong or falls apart? I feel the same way about 90% of the crafts... especially those darn wreaths.... mine always look super DIY gone wrong.

Enough self deprecating... I made a dinner... and it was good... and healthy.... YAY me!

This recipe is from Skinny Taste and you can find it here.  I've also copied it below but the link has helpful pictures for us visual learners.

 Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats

Servings: 8 • Size: 1 boat • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
Calories: 153 • Fat: 7 g • Protein: 12.8 g • Carb: 9 g • Fiber: 2 g • Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 372 mg

Ingredients:


  • 1 1/4 cups quick marinara sauce
  • 4 (31 oz total) medium zucchini
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1/2 small onion, finely diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 14 oz lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing (Al Fresco)
  • 1/2 cup part skim shredded mozzarella (Polly-O)
  • 8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to boil.
Preheat oven to 400°. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4" thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.

Place 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12" baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
In a large saute pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned; set aside. Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.


Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly. Top each with 2 tablespoons each of sauce, 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through. 

I made a few changes... I used a yummy classico marinara sauce instead of the one they suggest you make just because I was short on time. I also accidentally used hot (spicy) chicken sausage but it turned out AMAZINGLY yummy and I will probably use it again....even Avery liked it. I also only baked it for 25 minutes because my cheese was nice and melted at that point. 

You must try this even of you don't like zucchini. I like zucchini and didn't even taste it. {read...you may be able to get your kiddies to eat it} It is yummy yummy! This made enough to have left overs the next day and they were equally as good as the first day! 

We're having good days and bad days with cooking. In order for Parker to be able to eat this, I would need to use non spicy meat and no cheese on his boat. As of now, he would not eat this but I offered him a bite and he declined. I believe he ate almond butter toast and blueberries when I made this. I'm trying! We have days where I feel like super mom and days where I feel like he's surviving on applesauce, fruit and GF cereal. Day by day, right?! 

Now go buy yourself some zucchinis!

0 comments:

Post a Comment